Ofsted Common Inspection Framework Changes
Following consultation earlier this year on proposals for amended inspection arrangements for maintained schools and academies, further education and skills, and initial teacher education, Ofsted have released their response, listing the changes to inspection from September 2012.
The changes for further education and skills include:
- Only awarding an outstanding grade for overall effectiveness, if teaching, learning and assessment is judged outstanding.
- Replacing the satisfactory judgement with requires improvement.
- Reinspecting providers more quickly if they are received the requires improvement grade, within 12-18 months of the initial inspection.
- Awarding an ‘inadequate’ grade for providers who achieve ‘requires improvement’ in three consecutive inspections (although this won’t be automatic).
- Reducing the notice period of inspection - only two working days notice will be given by telephone.
- Reviewing performance management records for all staff.
The updated Common inspection framework and Handbook for inspections of further education and skills will be published by mid June 15 June 2012 and will commence inspections under the new framework from September 2012. The framework will be evaluated in Febraury 2013 to see how it is working in practice to consider any changes required.
31 May 2012
« Back to previous page